PDA

View Full Version : new to databases. need direction.

wiklendt
06-25-2006, 03:12 AM
hi, i was just wondering where to start with adding a simple database to my website. i was thinking to have like a tab or comma delimited file (like .cvs) that the site gets it's info from.

i'm planning to have a 'list' of my music cds, with info on tracks, lyrics and cover art for each artist. i wanted to just display basic info in a table, with the album title linked to it's extra info.

can anyone tell me what it is that i need to read up on (php? c++? javascript? asp? i'd like to keep it as basic as possible, though...) and specifically which area of that lanuage i need to concentrate on to make this work?

failing a simple solution i'll just manually create an html table with the info in it, but i'd like to make it easy to update, which i think would work if the site could generate these tables + content drawing from the info in the most recently uploaded cvs file....

can anyone steer me in the right direction?

thanks,
wiklendt.

jr_yeo
06-25-2006, 08:08 AM
i suggest u read up on apache, mysql, php :)

Twey
06-25-2006, 01:04 PM
i was thinking to have like a tab or comma delimited file (like .cvs) that the site gets it's info from.Possible, but not as efficient or as simple as a true SQL server. As jr_yeo says, the most common setup for a dynamic, database-driven site is one known as LAMP -- Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP.
There is a tutorial here (http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/).

jr_yeo
06-25-2006, 03:18 PM
if ur not familiar with Linux, u could also try WAMP -- Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP :)

wiklendt
06-27-2006, 01:09 AM
hey thanks guys!! i'll get into reading about WAMP asap. and i'm sure LAMP isn't TOOOOOO different, so thanks for the link - i've already bookmarked it! ;-)

you'll be sure to hear from me again! LOL ;-)

Oh, and i did realise that i misspelt "csv" as "cvs" in my original post.... silly me! LOL

Twey
06-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Actually, the setup portion of that tutorial deals with Windows. As you say, though, after setup, little differs between platforms.

jr_yeo
06-27-2006, 04:30 AM
little differs between platforms
i agree :p

you'll be sure to hear from me again

sure :) no prob :)