PDA

View Full Version : This Popup is Killing Me

KITT
06-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi I have just stepped into the world of pop ups. I'm in the middle of the creation of my first website. So after having spend month learnign some basic web design techniques, I wanted a floating pop up to go with my site.

I went to dynamicdrive.com and used their "drop in content box" I sat to show once every session. I got the html but after installing it and designing it it doesn't work for me.

The first time I open the page it laods fine and drops in, I then close it and if i then reload my page or come back to my homepage after visiting another page it has screwed up. First of all it shows again, should only show once every session, second I can't close it every time I try and close it it keeps openeing a new window showing the popup again.

I have tried to describe the propblem a little further at my site www.wellpublished.com/popup.htm, there you can also see the popup. And the HTML for the popup

I really hope someone can help, or that anyone know where i can get some help because I'm totally stuck here.

Thanks In Advance Kasper Sorensen

Jack
06-22-2006, 09:34 AM
Well it worked for me both times but the last time I too could not close it. I also notice that it said that you have an error on the page - on the bottom left corner of my screen. I realize I'm not being very helpful but that's all I've got for yea right now. :cool:

BLiZZaRD
06-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Your var "crossobj" is undefined on return.

Find this line:

function dismissbox(){
if (window.bouncestart) clearInterval(bouncestart)
crossobj.visibility="hidden"
}

Change "hidden" to "false"

Other than that I am stumped as well.

KITT
06-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Thank for the advice! I tried to change the line but it didn't change a thing... S I hope somebody else can help

BLiZZaRD
06-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Okay then change it back, LOL, I am not into JS at all... one of the mad profs should be by shortly though to iron it out.

Twey
06-22-2006, 05:03 PM
Try adding "var crossobj;" somewhere in the script, outside of any functions.

KITT
06-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Cheers tried it but still no luck. it is still fkd up

jscheuer1
06-22-2006, 08:26 PM
Working from your demo, I see you left out an important style declaration here added back (in red):

<div id="dropin" style="border:4px solid #000080;visibility:hidden;position:absolute;left:310px;top:100px;width:375px;height:625px;background-color:#FFFFFF">

When I made a local demo of your page:

http://www.wellpublished.com/popup.htm

and added that in, it worked fine.

KITT
06-23-2006, 12:18 AM
You are my hero john, It works just fine now. Thank you very much!!