PDA

View Full Version : HVMENU Issue with Opera 9.0

Ross_Wells
06-21-2006, 11:42 PM
If you run your test menu (see URL below) using Opera 9.0 you will see that the menu displays WITHOUT borders between elements regardless of the BorderBtwnElmnts setting.

Opera 8.5 F/Fox and IE all display the borders correctly.

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/horizon.htm

Is there a workaround for this?

Ross.

ddadmin
06-22-2006, 09:11 AM
I haven't had a chance to download Opera 9 yet, but once I do and can confirm the problem, I'll try emailing the author on this. Not sure if he's still working on updates for this script though.

Thanks,

jscheuer1
06-22-2006, 10:27 AM
Opera has its own set of 'browser' scripts that are usually installed with it and that are periodically updated from the server in the background (unless you have this disabled). HVMENU is one of many scripts that these 'browser' scripts 'correct' for Opera. If v9 skips this menu or has skipped the whole 'browser' scripts thing, that would be it. If v9 has this type of support and you have it enabled and are still having the problem, I'd report it to the Opera folks as, they've taken care of such things in the past, using just the method I am talking about.

jscheuer1
06-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I didn't know Opera had 9 ready to go yet but, lo and behold, when I checked, it is now an official release! I see the problem, only seems to happen on the horizontal HV Menu, the vertical one was fine. Also, Opera now supports generic opacity! Yea!

jscheuer1
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
With just a bit of further investigation, it looks like all you need is a DOCTYPE on the page using the menu and that takes care of it.

I used:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

ddadmin
06-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Cool, thanks for the info John. Still, I need some excuse to contact the author of HV Menu to ask for some long overdue updates/ bug fixes. :)

Ross_Wells
06-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Thanks John,

OK. To redefine my problem based on your reply...

HVMENU doesn't display borders when using Opera 9.0 with pages using the following DOCTYPE.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
i.e. Quirks Mode.

NOTE: Opera 8.5 displayed the HVMENU borders OK using the above DOCTYPE.

Therefore my question is...

Is there a workaround that will allow Opera 9 to display HVMENU borders when using the Quirks mode DOCTYPE?

Ross.

jscheuer1
06-23-2006, 05:43 AM
You're welcome DD and go ahead and contact Ger. Ask him if he can make the borders into actual style borders while you are at it. I think they are currently achieved by using slightly larger background elements, this makes it difficult or impossible to have borders and transparent/translucent effects - just something that comes up a lot in connection with this menu. Many folks would be very happy if the entire styling of the menu could be done in a stylesheet.

Ross_Wells,

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

Is very nearly quirks mode by the way. You just have to be sure to specify units in style for some browsers, otherwise it is just about identical, especially in IE where document.documentElement must be used for document.body in many cases though, or better yet a function to determine which is preferred by the IE browser being used:

function iecompattest(){
return (document.compatMode && document.compatMode!="BackCompat")? document.documentElement : document.body
}

Put that at the start of your code and substitute iecompattest() for both document.body and document.documentElement used elsewhere.

Designing in full quirks is so not now anyway. Still it would be nice if the Opera folks fixed that, if you tell them about it, they may as, they have in the past.