PDA

View Full Version : Print html content and only content (template?)

noobster
06-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Hi everybody,

Well here my problem doc(s)...

i would like a html page with a content to print but this content has to be printed on a 4x6 inch (10x15cm) postcard size without borders.

it should be the result of a few choices from the users on a local machine so no priinter problem it's a canon Selphy loaded with the right paper.

my problem is that when you print a document it also prints page number, makes margins etc...

is there a way to make some kind of template or to force to print a frame only....

i'm kind of lost in this, i tried to use this tutorail but it keeps giving me empty templates i must have a problem loading the content and it also write page number and adress... h**p://www.webreference.com/js/column89/index.html

does anybody here have a idea?

thanks in advance.

djr33
06-19-2006, 09:40 AM
No clue about your how particular printer works, but here are two ideas:

*Take a screen capture. Then you've got a picture and you can do what you want with it.

*Go into your printing setup and turn OFF the things you don't want on.

If you're asking how to code this into your page, then I think it's a lost cause. You can't really control users' settings like that (especially hardware) from a webpage.

noobster
06-19-2006, 10:12 AM
well i can do almost anything i want because it will be on a dedicated station so i can compromise security or whatever, it won't even be connected to the net or able to load any media.

i have 3 graphic elements (changing, user photo, selected background and text)
once they are together on a page , i need to print that zone.i thought it wouldn't be that hard...but it seems now.

djr33
06-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Well, it isn't blocked because of security, but rather just doesn't exist.
Whether it be because of security, settings or what, you just can't really control how hardware functions based on webpages. Even javascript is very limited, basically down to just queuing a print job.

If this is just local, then you're using the wrong tool. Webpages aren't for layout.... they'll just give you headaches.

If you need it, though, then just do what I said above... take a screen capture. Then crop to what you want, and print from your favorite image editing application.

mwinter
06-19-2006, 09:43 PM
my problem is that when you print a document it also prints page number, makes margins etc...Some things can be controlled by a print stylesheet; CSS applied to 'print' media. However, browsers will also affect printing through a Page Setup menu item, or something similar. This includes headers which might contain the page title and date, and footers which might contain the URL and page numbers. Only the user can change these settings.

Mike