PDA

View Full Version : Adding a background and have it tile

DreamGirlB
06-18-2006, 08:12 PM
IN Dreamweaver, I created a new css called mainbackground.css .. here is what inside:

.background {
background-image: url(images/background/mainback.gif);
background-repeat: repeat;
}

in my main page I call the .css
it displays the image but only at the stop of the page in one little strip.
tried to upload the gif but got .

mainback.gif:
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 5 x 944.

Does this have something to do with the reason its not covering the whole screen
:(

Twey
06-18-2006, 08:44 PM
There's nothing wrong with that. Is the element big enough to tile it vertically?

DreamGirlB
06-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Even using the gradient tool throught dynamic Drive

The image is the background of www.space.com. (The gradient blue color)

when I save as it is very tiny... but I can right click and make it my background on windows without any problem..

But its every image i pick its just puts a thick stripe of the color across the page

DreamGirlB
06-18-2006, 09:50 PM
Anyone have any ideas about how I can get ANY image to work.. sigh... even just adding regular backgroun does the same thing!! just a color..I must be calling the background.css in a weird place in my body.

This is the code dreamweaver is putting in my body..

<p class="background">&nbsp;</p>

Twey I think my navigation bar, might be screwing itup, is there something I have to do to make it a another layer, so that the navigation bar doesnt matter?

djr33
06-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Er.... I wouldn't think that paragraph tags can have backgrounds.

Use <div class="background">...</div>

paragraph tags are fairly limited... basically just sectioning of chunks of text.

Twey
06-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Er.... I wouldn't think that paragraph tags can have backgrounds.They can.
paragraph tags are fairly limited... basically just sectioning of chunks of text.Wrong... they're block-level elements, and can have the same style applied to them as any other block-level element.

mwinter
06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Please post a link to a demonstration of what you've attempted so far.

Mike

DreamGirlB
06-20-2006, 02:35 AM
Background is working fine.. I think it ended up I did use the div background and it worked..

DreamGirlB
07-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Having this same problem again.. and I'm using the DIV command.. what am I doing wrong!! www.provisionshomecare.com

pkcidstudio
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
Having this same problem again.. and I'm using the DIV command.. what am I doing wrong!! www.provisionshomecare.com
looking at your source code whats up with the several
<html><head></head><body></body></html> tags isnt one enough? why do you have three+ just trying to help this could be where some of your troubles are coming from.

Twey
07-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Yes, try validating (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eprovisionshomecare%2ecom%2f) your site.