PDA

View Full Version : How do I????

missmissy
06-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Hello all,

I was wondering if there is a code out there that I could use to disable the page/pages so that people wont be able to save it online???

Thank you,
MissM

djr33
06-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Absolutely not.

Your source code it sent to a browser so they can display your page.

Once that happens, doesn't matter what you do; they can save your page.

The same is true with images (and other content), so don't waste time trying to protect those either.

this is why there is copyright law.

code out there that I could use to disable
However, if you simply want to protect a page so that you need a password to view it, look into the .htaccess "script" here on DD. (Or you could code something with php, or, perhaps javascript, though that is far less secure, and basically a bad idea, but maybe your only option depending on hosts.)

...or, if you really want to disable a page, you could just delete it from the server. That's the only real way of securing anything.

Bottom line-- it's either seeing and saving or neither. You can stop someone from seeing your page (and thereby from saving it), or you can let them see it (thereby letting them save it).

serverextreme
06-19-2006, 12:24 AM
My question would be why?

djr33
06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Indeed.

Again, if you need security, don't use an insecure way of distrubution, like the web.

If you want to keep it secure, do so... on your harddrive. Once you upload it, you're putting it out there for people to do with what they want. (Though copyright laws still apply; that's why they exist.)

Birmingham
06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Only way to stop them saving it is to stop them finding out how to save it. There's always a way, but when the way is so difficult, you might succeed. Try some complicated stuff. :)

Twey
06-20-2006, 03:10 PM
There's always a way, but when the way is so difficult, you might succeed.There is not.

tech_support
06-21-2006, 08:23 AM
Try:

http://www.artistscope.com/

BLiZZaRD
06-21-2006, 08:53 AM
LMAO... oh here we go...

Twey.. remember: deep breath, count to 10...

**runs off to pop pop corn and get a soda**

tech_support
06-21-2006, 08:57 AM
this is why there is copyright law.

70% of home users don't listen to copyright law.

Try:

http://www.artistscope.com/

But It's expensive. And I can't afford it :)

Birmingham
06-21-2006, 04:45 PM
There is not.

somebody has a habit of arguing uninformatively :o

Twey
06-21-2006, 05:24 PM
somebody has a habit of arguing uninformativelyI provided no information because all information that was necessary was provided by djr33. I was merely enforcing his judgement since tech_support disagreed. If you really want me to, I will reiterate everything he has said. The Internet is built so that all content, once downloaded, is available to do with as the user wills. The only technical way to stop people doing as they like with your files is to not allow them to download it. Without downloading it, there is no way for the user can view it.Simply summed up as: "If they can see it, they can grab it."
70% of home users don't listen to copyright law.Home users aren't your problem unless you're selling the content, in which case it shouldn't be made available on a free, open media.

Birmingham
06-21-2006, 05:35 PM
80% of UK organisations don't comply with web accessibility laws.

Twey - there's even a way if you can't see it: enable urself to see it then grab it from there. Even if it envolves hacking or tresspass, there's always a way. All we can do is make the way difficult.

djr33
06-22-2006, 12:37 AM
I'm totally missing what you're arguing, Birgmingham.

Yes, you can make it harder for people, but that won't stop anyone. The people who'd be stealing in the first place would not be stopped, and pretty much anything would be trivial. If not, then it might take them all of 5 minutes. Wow. Heh.

I said it in my first post "Absolutely not".

You could even argue protecting images*, but when it comes to source code, there is NO way not to give it to them directly. If you don't, they don't see the page.

Just get over it.... cannot be done.

And, I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Twey is saying there isn't a way. Are you agreeing or trying to prove him wrong? Your argument is odd.

(*though this isn't possible either, without a new format, and new program for viewing them, etc.)

tech_support
06-22-2006, 02:03 AM
When there's a will there's a way

djr33
06-22-2006, 07:48 AM
Yes, there is always a way to hack into it and get the source code, the image, the file, whatever.

No, there is never a way to protect it.

tim.thelion
07-05-2006, 08:56 PM
just like there is never a way to protect agianst terrorists.

Twey
07-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Er, well, not quite an accurate analogy. The Web is designed to allow free use of information; the world (well, most of the world) isn't designed specifically to allow terrorism. :)

A little off-topic: "terrorism" is a very vague term. It means a form of warfare that spreads panic. As such, most wars can be classified as terrorism.

djr33
07-08-2006, 07:15 AM
Terrorism, nowadays, simply is anyone's excuse to call someone's actions wrong.

"It's desktop terrorism to have too many uncatagorized icons!" Suddenly, it sounds like a crime punishable by death :D

Hehe.

Note: clearly I'm not saying that terrorist bombings are ok, but does it really need the "terrorist" part? Isn't just "bombing" bad enough to get some attention? Heh.

Semi-on-topic...
HTML is totally open source, which allowed for the web to become what it is today. From that, the web followed, and now pretty much everything is accessible to all, which is the point. It's good for viewers, and less controllable by designers, for better or worse; better if you're the viewer, and worse if you're the designer (at times).

Twey
07-08-2006, 02:43 PM
and worse if you're the designer (at times).Not at all, really. If HTML were a binary compiled format, the web designers would all rejoice at being able to hide their code -- and so some really hideous code would ensue. The worst part, though, would come when they hid sensitive information and saleable data in the HTML, secure that nobody could read it -- and then, of course, somebody would.