PDA

View Full Version : Multiple fade-in slideshow and print.css

Digihound
06-16-2006, 03:52 PM
jschuer1 has done a good job in creating a very flexible improved version of the Multiple fade-in Slideshow (see scripts help forum).

For the uninitiated both the original and his script uses an array of image file addresses to load cycling images onto a page in several locations. I've used this on a client site, but now have hit another snag.

I want to create a standard print.css page for the whole site that includes static versions of all the images included in the array, drawn from the specific array listed on each page.

Is there some way to achieve this simply?

jscheuer1
06-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I want to create a standard print.css page for the whole site that includes static versions of all the images included in the array, drawn from the specific array listed on each page.

Could you be more specific about this? Do you want a page that will print out all images from all shows on the site? Do you just want a stylesheet that prints all images from any given show or shows on a given page?

For the first, I'd just make up a separate HTML page for that. The second would be a bit trickier but, with added javascript and style rules rendering the slideshows themselves display:none for print and the static gallery of images display:inline or display:block, this could be done. For screen, the styles would be reversed. However, having a separate page or pages would be kinder to the non-javascript enabled user. This would allow the javascript user to print the 'proof sheet' of a given gallery via a link to it and, if you organize the flow of your site properly, the non-javascript enabled user could be shown the proof page in place of the gallery with added text telling them about the benefits of viewing the site javascript enabled. Clever use of <noscript></noscript> tags and print/screen styling on these proof page(s) could make them highly multi-use in these situations. A combination of gallery, proof, and no-script page should be possible but, not simple. Once the code was worked out, it would still be a bit complex (though not absurdly so) just setting up each one.

However, printing out a 'proof sheet' of many images, especially large ones, is impractical in many cases even if the page can be rendered on the web and/or be made available for printing via whatever method(s).