PDA

View Full Version : [CSS] CSS Today's Pixel CSS Sublevel Menu

myyoungfamily
06-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Today's Pixel CSS Sublevel Menu

Jonathan Young
Today's Pixel
www.todayspixel.com

Here is a dropdown(sublevel) menu that utilizes the onMouse functions applied to table columns instead of the CSS hover method. Given the compatibility issues with the CSS hover method, this menu sucessfully tested in Internet Explorer, Firefox & Safari.
This menu uses a few very small background images for a total size of 1.60KB. I've even animated some of them to give the menu a flash look.

To view this menu go to
http://www.todayspixel.com/css_sublevel_menu.htm

The files are also attached.

Have fun...
-Jonathan

ddadmin
06-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Interesting idea with the gradual highlight effect without resorting to scripting. I gather it's an animated gif? I like the script in general, though I think a lot of people would be turned off by the script's use of tables and numerous onMouseover/onMouseout event handlers.

myyoungfamily
06-16-2006, 07:11 PM
It does use animated gifs.

I'm with you on the thick coding. It was just one of those things I was willing to sacrifice for compatibility...
-Jonathan

myyoungfamily
06-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Can somebody tell me if I'm way off base here? I actually thought this would be pretty usefull. To me the purpose of CSS is to be light. I didn't think lines of code really mattered that much. This whole menu, images and code, is less than 9KB. Isn't that light?

davidjovan
06-20-2006, 01:30 AM
This is really useful. Thanks.

ddadmin
06-20-2006, 09:07 AM
Can somebody tell me if I'm way off base here? I actually thought this would be pretty usefull. To me the purpose of CSS is to be light. I didn't think lines of code really mattered that much. This whole menu, images and code, is less than 9KB. Isn't that light?

Nope you're not way off base at all :) In general this is a nice CSS menu. Whether a code makes it into the DD library is a combination of many things besides the code's quality, namely, if it fills a void within the library.

myyoungfamily
06-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Well, I've gained a ton of knowledge and more from DD, so the decision to give back was easy. I know there are other dropdown type menus on DD, but to my knowledge none are CSS. I'd like to see it make the cut and help the web shed some weight...