PDA

View Full Version : Chrome v2.0 - Tabbed Browser JS Error

skoenig
06-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Chrome v2.0
http://forum.treonauts.com/treohome/treohome.php

Firstly, great menu system, really appreciate all the effort you've put in and what I've learnt from putting it in action.
Secondly, I know this might be close to your unsupported questions post above but I figured....multiple windows, independent heaps and events?

Behaviour
Drop down menus stop functioning when browsing multiple instances of same page through a tabbed browser.

Error Statements
Javascript reports: Error:'this.dropmenuobj' is null or not an object

I'm not an expert with Javascript but it seems to be like the multiple browser window instances are overwriting some sort of pointer value....but I don't know how to fix it.

Any ideas I could try?

Regards

Steph

ddadmin
06-15-2006, 06:54 AM
By tab browsing, do you mean such as in Firefox? I can't duplicate the error in Firefox 1.5, and I can't see how this would cause the script to throw an error.

skoenig
06-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Yes in either Firefox 1.5.04 or Maxthon 1.5.2

If I open multiple instances of the same page (linked above) one or more of the tabs will contain menus that no longer respond to hovering.

I need to reload that tab in order to get it working again.

Its weird and I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere but I just can't see where.

Well now..... I can only reproduce it in Maxthon. Hhmmm

Forget it I guess. If I can find a reliable step through to reproduce then I'll come back though it's unlikely to be chrome by the looks of it.

This guess would be OT now but anyway..

Been looking for a way to make it multi level since it works so simply and elegantly both on the create menu side and js side. I appreciate it wasn't built with that in mind of course.

I got it displaying a nested menu by messing with the menu div ids and rels then startchroming the parent menu id.

Of course the parent disappears as soon as the child appears and the child appears a good distance away from the pointer so it kicks in the mouseout event and everything that follows.

Off the top of your head can you point me in what you think would be the right direction?

I figure I need to adjust the position of the next menu left or right of the previous menu and find a way to keep the parent visible whilst the user is hovering over the child amongst other things.

Regards

Steph