PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know what an x-brower is?

garylee
06-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Do any of you know the answer below?

Q1:
What are the ways you can deal with x-browser issues? What are the pros and cons of each?

thanks,
Gary

Jack
06-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I like Internet Explorer but other hate it... On the other hand I hate Nutscape!
To eash their own huh! :)

People who build web sites for a living have every kind of browser known to man in order to see how user friendly their work is.

The reason I don't like Nutscape (Netscape) is that it doesn't run a lot of the scripts I enjoy. You could say that I'm a script freak!

I love the way people use them to make the net come alive. I couldn't imagine the net without them.

Gotta love those people who come up with those scripts. :D

mwinter
06-13-2006, 11:05 PM
What are the ways you can deal with x-browser issues? What are the pros and cons of each?A good direction to start in is the use of valid markup, and a good browser to examine your work. Whilst it's inevitable that you'll need to support MSIE, it shouldn't be used to assess how a document should be rendered: it's broken in many regards and you will probably be mislead. Opera and Firefox implement HTML and CSS to a much better degree. Use IE to identify its own particular quirks, and add fixes as you go.

Triggering 'Standards' mode by including a document type declaration (DOCTYPE) will help produce more predictable behaviour as browsers will follow the CSS specification much more closely, and therefore render a document in much the same way. If you plan to support IE5.x and earlier, you should be aware that they do not follow the CSS box model properly and may require special treatment. You can use IE's own conditional comments to include a different style sheet if you prefer not to use CSS parsing hacks.

The reason I don't like Nutscape (Netscape) is that it doesn't run a lot of the scripts I enjoy.Then those scripts were probably badly written. Aside from filters, other (major) browsers are no less capable than IE.

Mike