PDA

View Full Version : MAMP & Dreamweaver MX

tomyknoker
06-10-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi all,

I am trying to connect my database I created using MAMP to Dreamweaver MX is anyone familiar with the settings I would need to use in Dreamweaver to make a testing server and then connect to the database?

Thanks,
Tom

djr33
06-10-2006, 07:35 AM
I don't think that dreamweaver works with a database. You'd make your php (or other) page in DW, then view and that would be what connects, not DW.
I think, anyway. That's how it works with mysql.

tomyknoker
06-10-2006, 07:38 AM
In Dreamweaver I can select a testing server and also make a database connection... but can't seem to make that connection... i use localhost <username>root <password>root... still no go :(

djr33
06-10-2006, 07:44 AM
I wouldn't know, then. didn't realize it had db integration.
maybe localhost is wrong.
never tried to connect with dw myself, so can't really help, sorry.

Twey
06-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Shouldn't be logging in as root.

Are you sure that your password is right? If it is, it shouldn't be; that's a really stupid password, especially for the root account.

djr33
06-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Well... it's just on his local machine. But, yeah.
Maybe you're just giving us an example?

Twey
06-11-2006, 10:22 AM
Doesn't matter... it's open to the Internet, unless s/he's behind a firewall; even if s/he is, it'll make his/her machine more vulnerable in the possibility that somebody does get past that firewall.

djr33
06-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Sure, but I figure once someone's one my computer, there's a lot more important stuff I wouldn't want people getting than the contents of a database. Then again, this database might contain something particularly special.
Either way, though, I'd agree changing it doesn't hurt and probably helps.

Twey
06-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Getting past a firewall doesn't always equal gaining access to a computer :) If someone were, for example, to gain access to another machine on the network, it would leave the Mac open.

djr33
06-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Eh, that's true. I'm assuming tomy didn't give us his password, though. Right? Help us end this cycle :p

tomyknoker
06-12-2006, 07:54 AM
actually dj now that you emtion it... i removed MAMP too many hassles... i installed MySQL and all is working fine... have added a new user with a goo dpassword... Do i just delete the user localhost?

djr33
06-12-2006, 08:31 AM
haha, alright.
hmm.... you wouldn't want to delete the user, I don't think, but not use it for security reasons. Let's see what Twey says, he'll know more about that.

Twey
06-12-2006, 04:03 PM
No, leave the root user alone, it's needed for maintenence. However, change the password to something very secure. Off-hand, I recommend:
!e2@*T!ix$g8

Obviously this is just an example, and you certainly shouldn't use this password now it's been posted on the Internet.

tomyknoker
06-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Guys... ok I put a password on the root, on local host now I can't login into myAdmin at all... it's died... what did I do wrong? This is the error:

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.8.1

Probably reason of this is that you did not create configuration file. You might want to use setup script to create one.

Error
MySQL said:

#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Twey
06-13-2006, 03:31 PM
You need to set your password up correctly with phpMyAdmin. However, I recommend not using phpMyAdmin at all, and instead administering your databases with the simple "mysql" command-line client. You will get a much better feel for the language that way.

tomyknoker
06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
i can't access phpMyAdmin now I just keep getting that error... any way to fix it?

tomyknoker
06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
actually how can I fix it with the terminal then? i might try and learn it this way like you suggested... i use a mac and can never access my sql though... typing /usr/local/mysql, although if i type this into the terminal /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin it gives me all the info about MySQL

Twey
06-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Just run the "mysql" program, wherever it may be located on your system, with -uusername -p. For example:
$ mysql -uroot -pIt will then prompt you for a password, before logging into localhost.