PDA

View Full Version : One UL for a site linked to a file?

WS4
06-09-2006, 08:12 PM
I'd like to have one list that I can change so that if I add a page I won't need to go back and change every UL on every page.

Is that possible without having to revert back to javascript?

Could I like put a division container and have a link to a text file or something along those lines?

WS4
06-12-2006, 05:03 AM
No one else has any ideas...
I've looked all over the net and can't seem to find a good answer?

What do you think of using an iFrame?

<iframe src="your_Link_list.html" name="A" scrolling="no" width="575" height="250" frameborder="0">
</iframe>

Then the list can be targeted by the Iframe you could put this in the header for the links:

<BASE TARGET="_parent">

You think that would create any problems?

djr33
06-12-2006, 06:42 AM
I'm not familiar with the <base> tag, sorry. That may work just fine, but I don't know it.

You can't really repeat parts of a page using just html. Using an iframe will be kinda weird.... yes, it would work, but it's kinda awkward and not too customizable.

You could use javascript or php, etc. but you do need some type of programmable language, I think. All you really need is a variable, then to display that variable at specific parts.
Better yet, with PHP (yes javascript, maybe, too) you could actually include the data of a text file and display that.

Twey
06-12-2006, 04:12 PM
The iframe would work, but a far more elegant solution would be to use a server-side language such as PHP.

Don't use Javascript.

djr33
06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
If you don't have access to a server side language, javascript might help. But if you can use php (or even asp), that would be the best solution. :)

Twey
06-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't use Javascript.

If you can't use a server-side language, stick with the iframe.