PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Control-A (Select All)

DCB316
12-09-2004, 04:01 AM
I'm very new and somewhat apprehensive to ask this but here goes nothing:

I have implemented a few of the scripts from this site on my website that work marvelously. However, I was wondering if there was any script anywhere that allows you to disable the CONTROL-A keystroke. The other scripts disable the highlighting and copy/paste functions, but a user could still use CTRL-A and copy/paste into a word processor and get what they want/need.

I realize that once you put something on the "net" it is difficult to stop people from taking your content at will, but I would like to know if something like this exists. I appreciate any help anyone could give me and I humbly thank you in advance...

Dami
12-10-2004, 02:45 PM
The only way I know of to keep your work "your own" is to not put it in any tangible form. Anything else is subject to theft or plagiarism.

One way you could at least slow down the uninformed would be to make your content a jpg. Make that jpg the background image for a table cell, then put a same size or larger transparent gif file as the cell contents. This isn't fool-proof either--seems fools are getting smarter and smarter these days.

My 2 worth. I hope someone else can come up with a more graceful solution.

cr3ative
12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
I agree with Dami. But remember to optimize the images to keep the 56k'ers happy.

cr3ative

DCB316
12-26-2004, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Your suggestion however wouldn't be applicable to my needs due to the fact that it is a high demand, wrestling information website. Other competing websites are continually stealing our content such as live play-by-play updates of Pay-Per-View shows, etc. Images aren't the issue. It is the stealing of the textual content that we are looking to protect. After reading all the suggestions here, I have forced our visitors to use either IE or NS/Mozilla. Opera users are disabled from using the live content pages. Most of the web thieves use Opera due to the fact it gets around all the scripts put in place. HTML Encryption was the key to putting a stop to them, and for once, it worked. However, Im sure its only a matter of time before they find a way around it too.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions and help!

ddadmin
12-28-2004, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure how HTML encrption would stop people from stealing your content, unless the content you're trying to protect is a script, not regular text. For the later, as long as it's viewable online, copying it is a matter of cutting and pasting what's shown on the webpage (without viewing source of course).