PDA

View Full Version : Gif animation play 1st frame once - loop rest?

paul_newson
06-06-2006, 02:43 AM
I'm currently using Photoshop but I can download a trial version of anything for this one-off problem.

I have created a gif animation that is sufficient for my purposes, but it would be much better if I could get it to display the 1st frame just once and then loop the rest of the frames infinitely.

Does anyone know how to do this and what software is suitable?

I seem to vaguely remember some years ago using some software that allowed you to specify the frame playback order, but my memory could be somewhat clouded :rolleyes: this would be perfect - set order to 1,2,3...n,2...

If there is a "next frame to display" setting buried within the information for each frame then it must be possible (even if I have to resort to using a hex editor on the gif file itself).

djr33
06-06-2006, 05:30 AM
Hmm... this might be possible with the format, but I don't know and certainly don't know of any programs that will let you do it.
GIF is really a pretty limited format... not much customization... it doesn't even support more than 256 colors.

I believe some PNGs support animation, though I'm not sure how many browsers support this. Might want to look and see if that has support for this.

I see two options aside from finding a hidden trick in the gif format:

1. Use flash. It's not the best solution always, but the easiest way here.
2. Use javascript. You could make it display the first frame (a picture) for a bit (maybe while the animation loads, even), then display the looping animation. Might take some complex js for all of that. I wouldn't know.

Twey
06-06-2006, 07:43 AM
Beyond the abilities of GIF animation, I'm afraid.
I believe some PNGs support animation, though I'm not sure how many browsers support this.No browsers support this. Animated PNG (APNG) and its libraries, libapng, are still in an early developmental stage.

djr33
06-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Ah, darn.

Hmm... yeah, it's on to flash then. Or javascript.

moscarda
06-08-2006, 03:36 PM
if you have access to .NET, there are controls for slideshows that i've customised to do similar things. you set the frame rate, and specify each image (they can be gifs) in an xml file. you even have the option to choose a transistion, like a fade or dissolve. even if you dont want to use animated images, you can make it look like an animation by playing with the timing.

darco9x2
06-08-2006, 06:26 PM
if you have access to a flash program, you can do this very easily because you can just import the gif you already have set each frame a keyframe and use a script to when it ends to back to frame 2.

djr33
06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
.NET is the microsoft proprietary version of javascript that only works in IE, right?
If so, note that using it only works in IE, or just use javascript.

Flash is the only real solution to complex graphic needs, but comes with it's own downsides.... somewhat limited compatibility, and requires a plugin.
But, yeah, probably a good choice here.

Twey
06-09-2006, 07:31 AM
.NET is the microsoft proprietary version of javascript that only works in IE, right?No. That's JScript. .NET has nothing to do with this. :)

djr33
06-09-2006, 07:32 AM
Is .NET the same as ASP.NET?
Maybe I'm getting conufsed.

Either way, what is it?

Twey
06-09-2006, 07:42 AM
I've no idea what s/he means by it in this context. .NET is Microsoft's development framework, essentially a clone of Java with most of the good bits, like decent platform independence, removed. It's also a label they attach to some of their services for no other reason than to make them look good.

djr33
06-09-2006, 07:47 AM
Alright. I looked it up on microsoft, and seemed very obscure, like they had something to hide :D

Twey
06-09-2006, 12:16 PM
It's not exactly obscure... more obfuscated.

But yes, ASP.NET is one of the many languages that uses the .NET platform.

djr33
06-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Heh, better word choice.
Alright, makes sense.

Daffodil
06-11-2006, 03:38 AM
If you use Gif animator ( you can download a trial version) , put the image you do not want to remove as the first of the list, in "how to remove" select do not remove. Than add the other images you want to place over that one and select "to previous state" or "let browser decided" you may want to check in preview mode the condition that fits better your need than save it with the wizard.

I like to use fireworks. Especially since you already have done your image in Photoshop. Open the PSD file into Fireworks. It will be a document with 1 frame consisting of as many layers as there were in PS. If you duplicate that frame, you can modify certain elements of the layers, add more layers or erase some of the layers in the additional frames. So that way you will always have Frame one layers in each frame plus any additional layer you may want there. Than you select export wizard and choose gif animation. Finally, I like to open the gif I obtain in gif animator in order to change the delay for each frame. I find that it is more realistic to have various delay for each frame and its easier to check and modify these in GA.

HTH

djr33
06-11-2006, 07:55 AM
I missed some of that. GA will allow you to loop to a frame not at the start? I find that unlikely. Can you show an example?

Twey
06-11-2006, 11:16 AM
I think you're missing the point here. The OP wanted to have one frame shown at the start, then loop the rest -- not loop the whole thing overlaid on the first frame.

Daffodil
06-11-2006, 11:30 PM
:o read too fast.

jscheuer1
06-16-2006, 08:14 AM
I don't think this can be done with a purely animated .gif but, with a bit of javascript, it would be simple to show a static image (the 'first frame') for a set period of time and then swap it for the animated .gif image with only frames 2 through whatever included.