PDA

View Full Version : Need HELP. Jims DHTML V 5.7

kyham
12-08-2004, 01:48 AM
This routine seemed to be of interest so I DL'ed it and opened the zip file. I had planned to display some of the files to see what they were about.

Unfortunatly I seemed to have run one of them instead of listing. Now, none of the pop-up menu items will last more than 1 second. This is happening with EVERYTHING. I could not even use the right click to COPY or PASTE. I have a few programs running in the system tray and need to use the right click to get to them. Can't do it because the window goes away before I can do anything.

HELP.... How can I get back to normal operation?

Tried reboot, no help. Removed JAVA, still no help. Running out of ideas and now my system is almost useless.

Don

cr3ative
12-08-2004, 03:35 PM
It may be irrelavant, but so I can research it, which java platform/version are you using?

cr3ative

kyham
12-08-2004, 10:45 PM
The install file is named J2rw-1-4-2-06 for windows. I am running XP-PRO with SP2 update.

I did remove the Java product but I still have the problem. It is not just IE but the entire system. None of ANY drop down menu items stay longer than 1-2 seconds. I did not install on any other of my systems and don't have a problem with them. Only this one and immediately after accidently clicking on one of the .JS files in the distribution zip file. It seems to have modified the Windows XP-PRO system itself somehow. I really don't want to go back and rebuild the entire system from scratch. :mad:

Don

www.k9soa.net

kyham
12-09-2004, 02:43 PM
I noticed that when I am in a program like Outlook Express, when I right click on a menu item, the sub menu flashes up for 1-2 seconds and the main menu text changes from black to white.

There has to be a setting somewhere in Windoz XP-PRO that is a global entry that controls the options for menu display that got changed. Unfortunatly, so far I have not been able to locate it. :mad:

cr3ative
12-09-2004, 02:45 PM
Ah, right. This could narrow it down to a bad windows installation, or a program running which disrupts your system.

Try booting into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the problem is still there.

cr3ative

kyham
12-09-2004, 03:15 PM
Everything works in Safe mode. I had tried it before and I still had the problem. I did restore to a few days before the problem started but that didn't help. Now the fun of trying to find the nasty guy that is doing it.

Thought it might be something in an INI or other system file but looks like something being loaded at startup.

Have to make a short trip to the post office and store so will have to wait until I get back to do some searching. Just what I wanted to do today was search for an unwanted module.

Thanks for the help in running this thing down. Driving me nuts. Been going downstairs and using one of the other systems just to do some updates to my home automation system. What a hassle. Too used to using the network to that system.

Don

JEANNIE The Home That Listens
www.k9soa.net

cr3ative
12-09-2004, 03:18 PM
Either that, or it might be easier to run a repair install (with windows xp, anyway).

edit: Actually, I just got back from the post office. I posted some Christmas cards to Australia... 3, *mutters*

cr3ative
(ooh, it's nearly christmas)

kyham
12-10-2004, 03:20 AM
It keeps telling me that the Win version is later than the CD. Sure, it has SP1 & SP2.

Help and Support is no help or support. Nothing new there. Surprise, Surprise.

cr3ative
12-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Ah, ok. Here's what you need to do for a repair install.

Boot off your Windows XP CD, (I'm using XP Pro Corporate, but they should all be the same at this stage), and you should be presented with the blue windows setup dialog.

**Do not enter the Recovery Console. This isn't the repair installation**

Press whichever key it wants you to to go forth and "Install Windows XP", and just before it starts, it should ask you if you would like to execute a repair install. Say yes or select this option. It will preserve all your settings and files (hopefully, but do a backup anyway), but it will replace and reconfigure all the system vitals.

Here it is written in different words: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Hope this helps.
cr3ative

kyham
12-10-2004, 12:12 PM
Tried that. Selected the install option and got a screen that just said the version on the CD is older than what I have installed. The only two options are cancel and details. Install is greyed out and can not be selected.

The details button just explains that if you proceed with the install, you will lose all settings and replaced files can not be recovered. Even after that, the install is still greyed out and can not be selected.

Only option is to find the #$%@ file/program or start all over with an empty HD. The install CD I have is one of the earlier ones that might not have had the repair function on it. Been there a couple of times before and had to start with a clean drive. Even going back to an earlier recovery point way before the problem showed up doesn't work. Has to be some utility thing that is not covered or checked by recovery.

Thanks for the additional ideas on how to recover.

Don

cr3ative
12-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Are you booting from the CD? Repairing won't work from inside windows.

cr3ative

Joshoku
12-12-2004, 04:04 AM
I am trying to get the snow effect to work on a website. The only problem is I can't upload the snow images to the website because it isn't something our admin team can do. Sorry if this is the wrong thread to be posting in. I'm a little lost and in a rush.

cr3ative
12-12-2004, 08:02 AM
You win the random question placement prize for 2004.. well, anyway, what you need to do is go on down to www.imageshack.us and upload the photos there, and then use the image location they give you.

cr3ative