PDA

View Full Version : Text size cannot be changed in IE

JodiSte
06-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Hello everyone,

I am sure it is just a simple thing, but I am not able to change the text size of my website in IE, but in Firefox it works fine. I use CSS extensively, but also tables. But all text sizes, colours and fonts are set in a seperate CSS file.

Any Idea why this is?:(

benslayton
06-02-2006, 01:48 PM
whatever

esteban
06-06-2006, 12:13 AM
Hello everyone,

I am sure it is just a simple thing, but I am not able to change the text size of my website in IE, but in Firefox it works fine. I use CSS extensively, but also tables. But all text sizes, colours and fonts are set in a seperate CSS file.

Any Idea why this is?:(If your font sizes are set in px (pixels), then IE users won't be able to adjust the font size from the

view -> text size

menu. Now, you can still manually override the font size in IE, but you'll have to go into the options menu. It's annoying, but if you're determined you'll find the relevant settings (perhaps its under "accessibility"?).

I don't have a PC available, otherwise I'd be able to give you precise menu paths.

BUT, you should really uses %'s or em's (relative font size) for your site. Then IE/win users won't have any grief.

djr33
06-06-2006, 12:38 AM
If your font sizes are set in px (pixels), then IE users won't be able to adjust the font sizeExactly. Firefox, for some reason, for better or worse, ignores the "absolute" sizing and allows you to adjust. i'm not sure which is "correct", according to html standards and such.

BUT, you should really uses %'s or em's (relative font size) for your site. Then IE/win users won't have any grief.Yes, just use relative units IF you want them to be able to change it.
If not, use px as you have been doing.

Note that % refers to "% of window" for almost all things html, but in this case it is based on 100% equally the browser's/user's default text size. This may vary by monitor or need, like the somewhat sight impared.
That confused me before I found that out.

mwinter
06-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Firefox, for some reason, for better or worse, ignores the "absolute" sizing and allows you to adjust. i'm not sure which is "correct", according to html standards and such.HTML has no say in the matter, though CSS does.

Internet Explorer is right to not resize lengths defined in absolute units. A millimeter is a millimeter, an inch is an inch, and a point is, well, 1/72th inches. For the purposes of resizing, a pixel is a pixel, too. However, it should be noted that none of these will realistically be the same across different machines. Displays are not usually calibrated to the real world, and therefore if 72pt is really an inch, it's probably just coincidence. Similarly, the size of a pixel depends entirely upon the resolution of the monitor and the settings in use.

That said, anyone that's used the Web for long enough should realise that there are plenty of designers with a penchant for microfonts. Some are so daft that they make text almost impossible to read, whilst others just make prolonged reading uncomfortable and tiring to the eyes (which isn't much of an improvement). As a result, the ability to resize fonts and to specify minimums is a very good feature.

It should be noted that Opera is slightly different here: it doesn't resize, it zooms. Everything, including images, change size.

Yes, just use relative units IF you want them to be able to change it.There should be very little reason for not doing so. After all, if the author-specified size was well chosen, the user won't bother trying and the point is moot.

Note that % refers to "% of window" for almost all things htmlNot at all. Percentage lengths refer to the relevant dimension (width or height) of the containing block. Often, that means the containing block-level element. The only element where the viewport size is considered is the root (html) element.

but in this case it is based on 100% equally the browser's/user's default text size.'Based', yes. The computed value for the root element will be the default font size expressed in the user's preferences, and computed value of the font-size property is inherited. However, a percentage value is applied to the font size of the parent element, so font-size: 50% might be half of the default, but it might also be half of some other value.

Mike

djr33
06-08-2006, 07:22 PM
Not at all. Percentage lengths refer to the relevant dimension (width or height) of the containing block. Often, that means the containing block-level element. The only element where the viewport size is considered is the root (html) element.
Ah, yes, I said window but meant region it is in. True.
But.... still, note that text is very different from these.