PDA

View Full Version : Automatic resizing of browser

Sonic1968
06-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Hi,

I am trying to find a script that will automatically resize the browser window to maximise the persentation of my site. I would like to set a 800 x 600 window around my site. Can anyone help ????

jscheuer1
06-02-2006, 07:06 AM
Not a good idea. Not really possible with today's browsers. Best to design your page to look well in any size window. Or, not as good, clearly state on the page(s) that it is best viewed at 800x600.

tech_support
06-02-2006, 09:45 AM
The only way (I think) is to launch it in a seperate window. (Like pop-up)

Try: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/popwin.htm

jscheuer1
06-02-2006, 09:54 AM
The only way (I think) is to launch it in a seperate window. (Like pop-up)

Try: http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/popwin.htm

Won't work in any browser set to stop pop ups. There really is little you can do to control how your page is viewed. At best, you will succeed perhaps as much as 85% of the time but, at that rate, many browsers may be denied the content or forced to render it in a very unflattering manner. For all the time and effort involved, it is far easier to make a page that looks good at various sizes.

tech_support
06-02-2006, 10:09 AM
Oh really?

As far as I know, if you make the user click the link, then the pop-up blocker won't block it because the user clicked the link, and it didn't pop-up automatically.

jscheuer1
06-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Oh really?

As far as I know, if you make the user click the link, then the pop-up blocker won't block it because the user clicked the link, and it didn't pop-up automatically.

Well, yes but. There is pop up blocking and then there is pop up blocking. Then there is javascript disabled. Then there is pop up handling. In the first case, pop ups may be blocked entirely, including the ones that the user 'initiates'. In the second, with no javascript, the best one can hope for is a 'new page' (target="_blank") of unspecifiable dimensions, unless pop ups are also entirely blocked, in which case one could get an ordinary link, if no target was set, or nothing with target="_blank". In the third, the browser may be configured to 'pop up' in either the same window or in a new tab. In both of these cases, dimension instructions may be lost.